Inconceivable!

Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 by King Matyas in
0


< rant >

Reader Discretion is Advised. The following comments are rated-R (for you gotta be effin kidding me, that shit is Retarded)

Guess what I saw a few weeks ago in Walmart? (not anyone that should be on www.peopleofwalmart.com) I was looking for a good place to checkout because it was government check day and that place gets packed, and I was fortunate enough to find one of those smaller lines where the people only had one more cart to pass through the checker. I noticed a lot of junk food was passing through... I'm gonna place it in list form to make it more dramatic. Mind you it was about feeding time for me so all these goodies were making me hungrier!

2 big bags of those individual chip baggies in multiple varieties
Well over 10 - 2 liter sodas
Bags and bags of fun sized candy bars
Jerky
Trail mix
10 boxes of sugar loaded cereals
Little Debbie's galore

And that was just in their second cart!

I looked over at the other cart and saw that it wasn't much different...

I looked at the wife and said look at all that junk food!

And then it happened. My face must have been an interesting shade of burgundy as I turned and said to Reah a little louder than I would normally talk... "They are paying for all that shit with their Quest card? Is that what my fucking tax dollars are buying the less fortunates?"

So here is my new platform. Why aren't EBT cards limited to purchasing necessities like milk, eggs, fruit, meat etc., much in the same way as the old school food stamps? Why aren't my tax dollars being spent to assist those with basic necessities instead of two shopping carts full of junk food?

I know all about Quest cards (Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards for those of you who have never applied for government assistance), they are given to those who seemingly have fallen on hard times as a family and require not only the assistance of purchasing groceries, but monitary assistance as well. You are dolled out a certain amount of usable funds at the beginning of each month and a portion of that is cash benefits to help purchase things the card won't cover such as gas, electricity, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Now mind you, I have never had one myself... I know some people who legitimately were on hard times and had to use the assistance for a short period while they worked to improve their situation.

What I saw that day was infuriating and I'm sure it is happening like that all over. EBT cards are being abused in my humble opinion. If you are on hard times, I don't think you should be allowed to purchase junk. Those things are the types of things you should be giving as an occasional treat, not as a freakin meal! It really should be ok to smack idiots (although they did get a verbal smack that day). So now in this families case in particular, not only did we pay for that shit, but if they are eating that way we will eventually be paying their medical expenses in the future when they are morbidly obese with 4 comorbidities!

I don't even buy junk food like that for me, and I can afford it!

America is broken.

< /rant >

0 comments: